≡ Menu

Photos from the West Side Market

I spent Thanksgiving in Cleveland this year, and on Wednesday, we paid a visit to one of my favorite spots in the city, the West Side Market. This year the market, with its iconic clock tower, turns 100 years old. While the age of the supermarket may have killed many inner urban markets, the West Side Market, located at the intersection of West 25th Street and Lorain Avenue, is still going strong. Each year over a million visitors come from far and wide to visit the more 100 vendors that set-up shop here. You’ll find everything you need right here to make a fantastic meal. Along with fresh meats, vegetables and seafood, there are also pastries, roasted coffee, and spices.

If you’re ever in the Cleveland area, make sure you take some time to visit here. You’ll be glad you did. Until then, I close out this long holiday weekend with these wonderful pictures.

A special thanks to Nikolas Behncke for providing some of these shots.

{ 8 comments… add one }

• Thomas November 25, 2012, 9:55 am

Very nice pictures! Thank you for sharing them.

• David Ellis November 25, 2012, 10:59 am

It was my pleasure Thomas. Thanks for the comment.

• Dorothy Daus November 25, 2012, 6:45 pm

where r u located,its so awesome

• David Ellis November 25, 2012, 8:33 pm

Hi Dorthy, I am in Washington DC, but the market is located in the Ohio City neighborhood of Cleveland – at the intersection of West 25th Street and Lorain Avenue. And you are right, it is awesome.

• Hannelore November 27, 2012, 7:04 pm

I sold meats at Sellmann’s during my last years in high school, 1965-1967. I immigrated from Germany and loved working there after school and on Saturdays. The food was delicious and it varied as much as there were stalls in the market. There were foods from most countries in Europe, and later from all over the world. Although, I moved to Atlanta, but my parent continued to,shop t here for over 35 years. Thanks for the trip down memory lane with your pictures. I can smell the herbs, pastries, buttermilk, olive oil, fish, flowers, and roasted coffee. Mmmmm!

• David Ellis November 27, 2012, 9:10 pm

Thank you Hannelore for such a wonderful comments. It must have been interesting to be working at the market at that time. There have been a lot of changes since then. If you ever run across any pictures from that era, I would love to see them.

• Wolfgang Behncke December 10, 2012, 8:07 am

hi David,
    it is nice to see what you cam show to Nikolas.

greetings from

Wolfgang

• David Ellis December 10, 2012, 11:00 pm

Hi Wolfgang, Nikolas is a good photographer. He did a really good job at the market, but I think he prefers to photograph nature!